Western Radio Broadcasters Incorporated, STEREO 974, are one of the longest Established Community Broadcasters in Victoria. The association was originally established in 1978 under the guidance of Mr Barry JONES M.P. We were situated at the Westend Market in North Sunshine for quite some years. In 1998 when ownership of the market changed we found ourselves homeless. All avenues were searched for a New Home. It became very obvious that times were tough, and whoever we approached, we found that Commercial interests were always at the forefront. As you can appreciate, we had to look for long term security. Ease of access, security not only for our Volunteers but also for our Equipment, and associated factors all had to be considered. Fortunately we were put in contact with Mr Larry BLACK (General Manager of Auto Group Auctions of 594 Geelong Road Brooklyn). Construction of our new Studios commenced immediately and work went on around the clock. In fact, the complex was completed in 20 days construction time. We have now been broadcasting from our new home since June 1998. Throughout construction Auto Group assisted with Plant and Equipment and, in fact they donated all the furnishings for our Studios, Office and Reception Area. In February 2006, Auto Group vacated the site, the owners of the site, Powercor, came to our rescue, and we have remained on site since, thanks to their continued support. On the 12 October 2010, we signed an M.O.U. with the Victorian Government, which formerly recognised STEREO 974, as an Official Emergency Broadcaster for our Broadcast Region, this is something that we had been engaged in since the Coode Island fire in August 1991. We recognise the Demographics of our Broadcast Area, and provide Ethnic Language Programs, which in-fact cover a third of our Broadcast time, the remainder time is English Language, heavily promoting Country Music, and Australian Artists. A lot of technical planning has gone into our Studio’s, such as during power outages we have an automatic diesel generator that takes over, likewise we have an emergency transmitter located at our Studio’s, this enables us to be self-sufficient, and continue to broadcast, which is extremely important in times of emergencies. Without the support of Citipower, Powercor, and United Energy, who provide our Studio Site, and TIC Group Pty Ltd, who provide our Main Transmitter Site, life would be a lot harder. We thank them both for being great “Corporate Citizens, and supporting STEREO 974 a Not for Profit, Volunteer Association.
- On behalf of the Management Team here at STEREO 974 we are now pleased to announce that we have three more Language Programs to add to our array of Multicultural Broadcasting. STEREO 974 now has a Chinese Language Program that will be conducted in both Mandarin and Cantonese Languages. The Chinese Program, both Mandarin and […]
- Get wild in the West to celebrate culture and diversity It’s time to celebrate the diversity of the western suburbs with an event that will showcase its wide range of international people, food and entertainment. Brimbank City Council is proud of the fact more than 160 languages are spoken and at least 166 nationalities call […]
- RoadSafe Westgate are very pleased to announce that RoadSafe Westgate website is now live. Please click on the link https://roadsafewestgate.org.au to access. A Facebook group has also been created, so be sure to check it out. Here’s the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/roadsafewestgate/
- Brimbank City Council announced their Australia Day Award winners for 2018 and paid tribute to some of its most community minded citizens at a special ceremony on Monday 22 January to announce the winners of the 2018 Brimbank Australia Day Awards. We are pleased to announce and extremely proud that our very own STEREO 974 […]
- Good relationships with our neighbours rely on effective communications. When all parties truly understand each other, they are in a position to form productive partnerships. This is the approach we adopt at all our sites and this is why Mobil was so pleased to be able to contribute to the voice of western Melbourne, Stereo […]
- MFB and CFA are urging Victorians to celebrate the festive season safely and avoid firefighters crashing their Christmas. Fairy lights are a festive favourite but without proper precautions, these twinkling decorations can spark a fire. CFA Chief Officer Steve Warrington said electrical fires were among the top causes of house fires each year but could […]
- If you're one of the many Australians to already have an Amazon Alexa device in your household, then the good news is you can easily enjoy listening to Your Station via your Alexa device, simple add the "Stereo 974" skill, and ask Alexa to "Play Stereo 974", happy listening!
- Be sure to grab your copy of the Brimbank & Northwest STARWEEKLY Newspaper this week to check out our very own Production Manager Bob Taylor’s interview!
- Australia’s strong border protection policies and capabilities have proven highly effective at preventing illegal boat ventures to Australia. According to the Commander of Australia’s Operation Sovereign Borders (OSB), Air Vice-Marshal Stephen Osborne, education plays an important role in preventing people from attempting illegal migration to Australia. “One of the goals of Operation Sovereign Borders is […]
- Read the article here : ROD_STAR_NEWS_05092017.pdf