Western Radio Broadcasters Incorporated, STEREO 974, are one of the longest Established Community Broadcasters in Victoria. The association was originally established in 1978 under the guidance of Mr Barry JONES M.P.
We were situated at the Westend Market in North Sunshine for quite some years. In 1998 when ownership of the market changed we found ourselves homeless. All avenues were searched for a New Home. It became very obvious that times were tough, and whoever we approached, we found that Commercial interests were always at the forefront. As you can appreciate, we had to look for long term security. Ease of access, security not only for our Volunteers but also for our Equipment, and associated factors all had to be considered. Fortunately we were put in contact with Mr Larry BLACK (General Manager of Auto Group Auctions of 594 Geelong Road Brooklyn).
Construction of our new Studios commenced immediately and work went on around the clock. In fact, the complex was completed in 20 days construction time. We have now been broadcasting from our new home since June 1998.
Throughout construction Auto Group assisted with Plant and Equipment and, in fact they donated all the furnishings for our Studios, Office and Reception Area.
In February 2006, Auto Group vacated the site, the owners of the site, Powercor, came to our rescue, and we have remained on site since, thanks to their continued support.
On the 12 October 2010, we signed an M.O.U. with the Victorian Government, which formerly recognised STEREO 974, as an Official Emergency Broadcaster for our Broadcast Region, this is something that we had been engaged in since the Coode Island fire in August 1991.
We recognise the Demographics of our Broadcast Area, and provide Ethnic Language Programs, which in-fact cover a third of our Broadcast time, the remainder time is English Language, heavily promoting Country Music, and Australian Artists.
A lot of technical planning has gone into our Studio’s, such as during power outages we have an automatic diesel generator that takes over, likewise we have an emergency transmitter located at our Studio’s, this enables us to be self-sufficient, and continue to broadcast, which is extremely important in times of emergencies.
Without the support of Citipower, Powercor, and United Energy, who provide our Studio Site, and TIC Group Pty Ltd, who provide our Main Transmitter Site, life would be a lot harder. We thank them both for being great “Corporate Citizens, and supporting STEREO 974 a Not for Profit, Volunteer Association.
General Managers Report
Western Radio Broadcasters Inc is a Community Not For Profit Incorporated Association, staffed by Volunteers.
First and foremost, we are “by the community, for the community”. We operate 24 hours a day 7 days a week, and provide what we believe is a high standard of broadcasting to an extremely diverse cultural and linguistic audience within our community.
We have over many years progressed, from broadcasting in a shipping container in a vacant paddock to our current state of the art studios, which are situated on a 24 hour physical security site at, Brooklyn. This security not only secures our equipment and facilities, but also safeguards the wellbeing and safety of our numerous volunteers and their vehicles.
The studies are fully air conditioned, and we vigorously uphold Occupational and Safety Standards. We have created a team environment whereby our volunteers are extremely cohesive, but readily accept new volunteers into the Association, and everyone is made to feel welcome. One the greatest complements that we have received is when visitors attend at the studios they say “what a warm friendly environment”. Likewise our Main Transmitter is located at TIC Group Pty Ltd, Sunshine Road Tottenham. Without the support of both Powercor, TIC Pty Ltd in providing accommodation for our facilities, we would find it extremely difficult.
We are extremely proud of the numerous awards that we have received from Government bodies and instrumentalities; emergency services; cultural associations and groups, and numerous other organisations. In the past when the Centenary of Federation medals were being awarded, two of our Vietnamese announcers received them for “Service to the Vietnamese community via community radio”. Likewise STEREO 974, has received numerous Multicultural Awards for our work with the Multicultural Community in our broadcast area and beyond.
As an example of what we are all about and working with the community, was the formation of an alliance between this radio station and Western Health, whereby we are now programmed into, and listened to via the Patient Television sets at Western Hospital Footscray, Western Hospital Sunshine, Williamstown Hospital and various other units under the control of Western Health Likewise the important role that we play re Emergency Response Broadcasting, and that we are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week on call out should the need arise. This in itself is no mean feat, and in the past we have been called on and have responded immediately. This Emergency Response Broadcasting role is practised monthly. Some years ago we signed an M.O.U. with the Victorian State Government, officially recognising us as the Emergency Response Broadcaster for the area West and North of Melbourne. [Read More]
- Australia’s strong border protection policies and capabilities have proven highly effective at preventing illegal boat ventures to Australia. According to the Commander of Australia’s Operation Sovereign Borders (OSB), Air Vice-Marshal Stephen Osborne, education plays an important role in preventing people from attempting illegal migration to Australia. “One of the goals of Operation Sovereign Borders is […]
- Read the article here : ROD_STAR_NEWS_05092017.pdf
- A message from Andrew Goledzinowski, Australian Ambassador for People Smuggling Issues and Human Trafficking In June 2017 Australians from all walks of life came together to celebrate Refugee Week and the contributions made to Australian society by people who came here as refugees. Australia has a long and proud tradition of welcoming and successfully resettling […]
- VOLUNTEER ANNOUNCER POSITION AVAILABLE. Stereo 974 is currently in search of a Filipino speaking Announcer for a new upcoming Program we will be putting to air shortly. No previous Radio experience necessary as full training & voice coaching will be provided. We are always looking at increasing our Ethnic Programming in various Ethnic Languages. If […]
- STEREO 974 -NEW SAMOAN YOUTH PROGRAM STEREO 974 announced today that a New Ethnic Language Programs will join the line-up from Saturday 13 May. The SAMOAN YOUTH PROGRAM, will be heard every Saturday from 6pm to 8pm, and will be followed by our highly popular Samoan Program (8pm to 12mn). “STEREO 974 has always had […]
- On the heels of his three #1, “A Guy Walks into a Bar,” “Redneck Crazy,” & “Whiskey in my Water”, Tyler Farr is singing a decidedly different tune with his new single, “I Should Go to Church Sometime.” “I’m not exactly known for walking the straight & narrow,” he admits, “but I have a strong […]
- Charlie Daniels is opening up about his life and career in his new memoir, Never Look at the Empty Seats, due out October 24. In the new book, fans will learn about Daniels’ rise from his post-Depression era childhood to becoming a Grammy winner and Country Music Hall of Fame inductee by focusing on the […]
- It’s been two years since the Zac Brown Band released their well-received, but genre-bending, album Jekyll + Hyde, and the Southern rock outfit is set for an epic return in 2017, with not just a new record but a massive tour as well including Australia. Aptly titled Welcome Home, ZBB’s fifth studio album will bring […]
- This Sunday 27 NOVEMBER 2016, STEREO 974’s own BOB TAYLOR, will be a guest on REMEMBER WHEN with Phillip Brady on 3AW, between 9pm and 10pm. Bob is our Program and Music Director, as well as conducting the morning program Monday to Thursday here at STEREO 974. Bob has a vast experience in the Broadcasting […]
- Tucker Beathard offered a preview of his EP, Fight Like Hell, during an intimate songwriters showcase at Nashville restaurant Martin’s Bar B Que. Tucker played select cuts from the upcoming EP including “Fight Like Hell,” “Momma and Jesus,” and “Rock On.” Beathard was joined by his father and co-writer Casey Beathard, as well as co-writer […]